The short answer is, no.
Homeowner’s Association (HOA) Insurance basically covers the outside shell of your unit. Outer walls, ceilings and common areas like hallways and lobbies are usually covered. If your condo has a shared gym or library accessible by all HOA members, it is likely covered as long as the HOA carries a fire rider.
What can I expect from condo insurance?
- Liability coverage protects you if someone or something is harmed while in your unit. If you are held responsible, condo insurance can help pay for medical bills and repairs.
- Choose a level of personal belonging protection, so you will receive current value if items are stolen or damaged. Check with Western Republic Insurance Services to determine if fire damage is covered.
- Condo insurance should cover the interior structure wherever your HOA insurance leaves off. Many condo owners find out the hard way that interior walls, flooring, and countertops are not covered by most HOA policies.
- Loss assessment coverage protects you if you are found responsible for damage to the exterior structure or common areas that would have normally been covered by the HOA policy.
- Residents in the Huntington Beach, CA area are wise to choose a loss of use option. As long as the reason for a loss of use is covered, this option provides additional living expenses or fair rental value to keep a roof over your head until the condo is habitable again.
Western Republic Insurance Services would love to answer questions about condo insurance coverage. Give us a call to determine how specialized condo insurance in the Huntington Beach, CA area can help get you back on your feet after a fire.