Traffic violations not only cost you in fees and court costs but can also increase insurance premiums as well. Most traffic violations will become part of your driver record which the insurance company will use to determine the risk of insuring you. Being listed as a high-risk driver will raise your premium rates and sometimes even reduce your insurance options. At Western Republic Insurance Services in Huntington Beach, CA, we know the impact that traffic violations can cause. Some of the traffic violations that can affect your insurance rates include:
- Parking Tickets – While a few parking tickets will most likely not increase your rates, an excessive amount might catch your insurer’s attention.
- Speeding Tickets – One speeding ticket may not affect your rates if you attend a defensive driving course as long as the number of miles over the posted speed is low. Repeated speeding tickets or citations for excessive speed may cause a drastic spike in your rates as speeding plays a significant role in many traffic accidents.
- Running Red Lights, Failure to Yield, and Improper Passing – These lesser infractions will not cost you as much in fees, but will result in a slight rise in your insurance premiums. Insurance companies see failure to follow road signals as being a higher risk for an at-fault accident.
- DUI or DWI – Both DUIs and DWIs are considered severe infractions on your driving record and may not only lead to significantly higher rates but may also result in your policy being canceled. Once canceled your only options may be more expensive high-risk insurance policies.
- Reckless Driving – A charge of reckless driving will result in a significant jump in your insurance rates if your insurance company chooses to continue your coverage. This charge can also result in suspension of your license which will require high-risk insurance when it is time to reinstate.
No matter how big or small, traffic violations will impact your driving record and in turn your insurance premiums. If you would like more information on how traffic violations can affect your car insurance rates, or need an auto insurance quote, contact Western Republic Insurance Services in Huntington Beach, CA today.